09 March 2010

Tasty Tuesday: Baked Oatmeal




Sometimes, staples like oatmeal get a little redundant and you want to mix things up a bit. That's why I first made this baked oatmeal. I usually make this on a Sunday morning. Then, I have enough for another breakfast early in the next week. Rachel always asks for seconds so that makes this a winner in my house.



Baked Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
1tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 cups oatmeal  (rolled oats aka old-fashioned)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie plate with nonstick spray. Whisk together the milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, mix the cinnamon, oatmeal, brown sugar and baking powder. Fold the milk mixture into the oatmeal mixture. Let stand for about 15 minutes (I've never waited that long and it turns out fine--in my opinion). Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes.

adapted from: suite101.com

2 comments:

  1. I make baked oatmeal all the time--but the recipe calls for a cup of butter. I use only a quarter of a cup but I think I'm going to try your recipe. We also like chopped apples or blueberries mixed in (before baking). Yum! Oh, and one time I forgot to mix in the brown sugar, so I just sprinkled a few tablespoons on top and it gets really crispy--kinda like baked oatmeal brulee. Now I always put the brown sugar on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...I'll have to try that. I usually make it plain Jane but I'll try apples next time, too.

    The original recipe called for a 9X13 pan and I made it like that once. It turned out pretty dry.

    ReplyDelete